At dentalhouse Glen Abbey Dental, we believe keeping kids healthy is important. Start their school year off strong by following these simple dental tips.
According to the American Dental Association, a dental examination is as important as immunizations and booster shots and should be a regular part of back-to-school preparations. Tooth decay affects children more than any other chronic infectious disease and 19 percent of children ages 2 to 19 years old have untreated tooth decay.
Here are some things you should check-off before the school year gets busy!
1. Make sure you book regular visits to the dentist to ensure dental problems are diagnosed and prevented. Early in the school year is a great time before homework and schedules get heavier.
2. Establishing a good oral hygiene routine is important. Regular brushing with fluoride toothpaste and flossing.
3. Shopping for school supplies? Make a quick stop in the health care aisle and pick up a new brush for your kids! You should be replacing standard toothbrushes every few months. Try this: every time a report card comes home, it's time for a new toothbrush!
4. Packing lunch? Healthy food and snacks makes a huge difference on your oral health. Things you can include in your child's sack lunch include grains, milk, cheese, raw vegetables, yogurt or fruit. If your child eats in the school cafeteria, review healthy, balanced food choices with him before the first day of school.
5. Active kids should protect their teeth with a sports guard! Teeth can be severely damaged in contact sports if not properly taken care of.